The mission of the Radio and Television Commission of Lithuania is to meet the public‘s needs by ensuring access, quality and diversity of the technologically advanced audiovisual media services and radio programmes and create equal activity conditions for all players of the audiovisual media market.
- – Participates in forming the national audiovisual policy;
- – Within competence ensures control of forbidden information and information which has a detrimental effect on the development of physical, mental or moral health of minors in the radio and television programmes, catalogues and separate programmes;
- – Ensures complience of national Laws on requirements for radio and television programme standards and content, broadcasting of commercial audiovisual communications and advertising with EU legal acts;
- – Licenses radio and television programme broadcasting activity and re-broadcast content;
- – Supervises licensed and not licensed activities of broadcasters and re-broadcasters of radio and/or television programmes, providers of on-demand audiovisual media services and services distributing television programmes or their seperate parts thereof on internet;
- – Within competence cooperates with international EU institutions, EU member states and their regulatory authorities in the audiovisual field;
- – Together with the Communications Regulatory Authority draws up the Plan for the assignment of radio frequencies for broadcasting and transmission of radio and television programmes;
- – Submits proposals on the drafting of laws regulating the activities of broadcasters and re-broadcasters of radio and/or television programmes, other legal bodies providing distribution services of radio and television programmes on internet for the users in the territory of Lithuania and providers of on-demand audiovisual media services and other legal acts related thereto;
- – Accumulates relevant information on broadcasters and re-broadcasters of radio and/or television programmes, other legal bodies providing distribution services of radio and television programmes on internet for the users in the territory of Lithuania and providers of on-demand audiovisual media services, analyses their activities and publish information on participants thereof, prepare information and methodological material on these issues;
- – Every two years prepare and submit to the Seimas an analytical survey on the implementation of Lithuania’s audiovisual policy, the development of audiovisual media services, provide statistical data on the activities of all providers of audiovisual media services falling under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Lithuania in the course of implementation of the provisions on European Works quota and specify the reasons impeding the implementation of the said provisions and the remedial measures taken or to be taken;
- – Within the scope of its competence, supervises the implementation of the provisions of the Law on the Protection of Minors against the Detrimental Effect of Public Information;
- – etc.